Bellaire Texas History
Known as the city of Bellaire, this Houston suburb offers many restaurants, cafes and parks. The town of Dairy southwest of Houston is full of fun stories that kids in southwest Houston love to hear.
The city of Bellaire, Texas, is surrounded by Interstate 610, which surrounds the 3.6 square miles of the city. In Texas, on Loop 610, is the town of Dairy, a 3-6 square mile city that surrounds the Texas State Fairgrounds, Dairy Dairy Museum and Dairy City Park. The Texas State Fair Grounds, Dairy Museum and Dairy Farm are all surrounded by Interstate Loop610.
The Arwine family arrived in the area in 1865 and settled on a farm that soon became an "Arwine Community," located north of the intersection of Interstate 610 with the Texas State Fairgrounds, Dairy Dairy Museum and Dairy City Park. The area has a long history, called Satsuma because of the satuma tangerines grown there. A town north of the area is also known as Ashford, Texas, where it was named after a small town on the west side of Interstate 610 east of Bellaire.
In 1949, completely surrounded by the expanding city of Houston, Bellaire retained its status as an independent city and remained independent of Houston. In April 1949, it changed its name to the Bellaire Independent School District, and the school was to remain there until its new campus was built on the site of the old Texas State Fairgrounds and Dairy City Park.
In 1977, a dispute between the mayor and three of the three councillors over the use of public funds to recall the mayor and the three councillors led to the dismissal of the mayor in 1977. A dispute between the mayors of Bellaire and two of its three councillors led to the dismissal of the president, the councillor and one of its members in 1977.
Leading municipal organizations include the Bellaire Chamber of Commerce, the City Council and the local section of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFL-CIO). Among the leading nonprofits is the Bellaire Community Foundation, a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit focused on education, health care and community development. Leading organisations in the communities include: The Bellaires Community Federation, a coalition of local businesses, schools, churches, hospitals and other organisations.
Earthman's Bellaire Funeral Home has a long history as an undertaker and undertaker. There is a plaque and a Texas Historical Commission sign that contains detailed information about the Bellaire streetcar line. Others can be seen on the street in front of the town hall and in the parking lot behind the Bellaires civic foundation.
The collection was donated to the Museum of Texas History in Austin, Texas, on October 5, 2017. William Wright Baldwin founded Bellaire's Westmoreland Farms in 1868 after buying 9,449 acres of rice farm as president of the South End Land Company. Baldwin surveyed the ranch's eastern 1,000 acres for a small truck farm he called Westmorelands Farms.
In 1890, Mr. Meyer began buying land in southwest Houston and amassing 6,000 acres, and Westmoreland was the first in Houston. He built a small ranch on the west side of the Houston River, about a mile from the city limits of Bellaire and about 3 miles south of downtown.
Bellaire was targeted by Midwestern farmers and promoted as a production site for corn, wheat, soybeans, cotton and other agricultural products.
The settlement had to change its name to Alief, Texas, in 1904 when the US Post wanted it for Dairy Texas, which already existed in the western part of the state. The city of Houston annexed the land around it to stop its growth and incorporated the Bellaire area into its city limits, annexing the surrounding area that was not incorporated. In 2009, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) took over the loop in Houston's highway system, splitting the city almost exactly in half.
Harris County Commissioners Court has adapted the highway corridor to be on the east side of Bellaire Blvd, primarily to avoid conflicts with the City of Houston and the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). Efforts to rezoning Bellaires Blvd have been supported by the Houston Chamber of Commerce, the City Council and several local businesses and organizations.
The Westmoreland Railroad Company built an electric tram line called the Toonerville Trolley, which was to take residents east to Houston. In 1909, a tram line began running from Houston's Main Street to Bellaire, stretching from downtown Bellaire to the three-mile stretch of Houston Main Street. On the other side of the city, at the western end of the city, Bellaire Boulevard was built to connect the city with the main streets of Houston and then Westlake Boulevard on the east side.
In 1941, the Houston Loop was designated part of the Galveston Freeway, a three-mile highway between Houston and Houston. It passed through the city of Bellaire and the western end of Westlake Boulevard on Houston's west side, and opened in 1949 and completed in 1952 with the construction of a two-lane, four-lane intersection at the intersection of Main Street and Main Avenue.